A Romantic Getaway on BC's Wild West Coast
Sooke, Southern Vancouver Island
The dramatic west coast: a view from Possession Point, approximately 10 minutes from Comfort Cove Cottage, one of the many romantic and scenic spots in the area.
Located just 20 minutes outside of suburban Victoria, this oceanfront paradise is a quiet escape from life’s daily pressures. Getting away from it all is closer than you may think.
The cottage is located in the rural community of East Sooke which is situated on a large peninsula overlooking the sheltered waters of the Sooke Basin. The temperate rainforest blankets the hilly terrain, enveloping the land in green all the way to the water’s edge. Just off shore, the sacred Goodrich and Noname Islands rise in majestic solitude.
Comfort Cove Cottage, a self-catering Sooke vacation rental, is located on an oceanfront acreage and offers an oasis from a hectic modern life. The cottage is only 40 minutes from downtown Victoria so you can enjoy the ‘big city’ conveniences before escaping to your private romantic hideaway just outside of town. You'll feel like it's a whole new world, where the only sounds you hear are the birds and the wind whispering through the trees.
The cottage offers a cozy respite for two. Fall asleep watching the twinkling lights of cars along the distant shore. The stars seem brighter and the nights darker here. Wake to the pristine beauty of the Sooke Basin from the luxurious king bed in the master bedroom, and watch eagles, ospreys and herons fly below eye-level. The cottage is perched on a hilltop where you can watch the hummingbirds flit through the treetops.
If you need a bit of adventure, it’s easy to stay active on and off the water:
- Take an easy stroll on the many coastal walking trails of East Sooke Park, only 5 minutes away from the cottage.
- Venture out to the more challenging rainforest hikes in the mountains of East Sooke Park (we call 800’ hills "mountains" here!).
- Enjoy an oceanside sunset from the forested walking trails of the Galloping Goose. Bikes are allowed too.
- Spend an afternoon whale-watching. Local tour companies will take you on the Juan de Fuca Strait to view Orcas and Humpback whales.
- Discover some of the largest Douglas fir and Arbutus trees in the Victoria area in Roche Cove Regional Park (10 minutes away from the cottage).
- Relax on the uncrowded rocky shores and watch the ships head to and from Vancouver and Seattle. On the rare occasion, you may even see US submarines surfacing.
- Experience the calm beauty of the Sooke Basin from the water on a guided kayak tour. This is a perfect place for novice kayakers.
- Take a swim in the warm freshwater lake in Matheson Lake Regional Park.
- View thousands of birds and ancient trees in Witty’s Lagoon Regional Park.
- Treat yourselves to an entire day on a fishing charter in the Juan de Fuca Strait.
- Rent a motor boat or sailboat and discover the sheltered waters of the Sooke Basin. If you’re adventurous, head past Whiffin Spit to the open Pacific Ocean.
- Go for a treetop zip-line adventure at Adrena Line (10 minutes away from the cottage).
- Take a scenic drive along the windy, rural roads through towering rainforests and along rocky coastal shores.
- Enjoy fine dining at Markus’s Wharfside Restaurant, casual dining at Fuse Waterfront Grill or 17 Mile Pub, home cooking at Mom’s Café.
- See the attractions in nearby Victoria and then return to the seclusion and romance of your private oceanfront retreat.
There are endless opportunities for adventure and natural beauty in the area. From Comfort Cove Cottage, you’ll be in the center of action for all things natural.
When to Visit
Outdoor fireplace by the water's edge, for those romantic evenings at the cottage.
Southern Vancouver Island has the mildest climate in Canada. The best time for a romantic getaway to East Sooke is in the spring and fall when the forests are teaming with migrating birds. In the fall, the autumn foliage is in full color and the silence is interrupted by only the crunching of leaves underfoot. The Sooke Basin is teeming with salmon in September and October, returning to spawn in the local tributaries.
The winters are rainy but the wood-burning stove will keep you warm and sheltered inside the cottage. The outdoor fireplace down below is a romantic treat on cool evenings.
The city of Vancouver (metro population 2.2 million) is located in British Columbia, the western most province in Canada. It’s often referred to as the Lower Mainland since it is located on continental North America.
Victoria (metro population 0.4 million), is the capital city of BC and is located on southern Vancouver Island. It is physically disconnected from the rest of the country by the Georgia Strait. The island is about the size of the island-nation of Taiwan.
Vancouver (Tsawwassen ferry terminal) to Victoria (Swartz Bay terminal) Take a 1.5 hour ferry ride from the mainland through the Gulf Islands. East Sooke is only 1 hour away along the scenic, curvy roads that hug the rugged coast of southern Vancouver Island.
Seattle to Victoria High-speed ferries take you from downtown to downtown in 2.5 hours. Enjoy the expansive views of Puget Sound, the Juan de Fuca Strait and the Olympic mountains. Arrive at the Inner Harbour in Victoria and experience the cosmopolitan attractions before escaping to quiet peacefulness of East Sooke, 40 minutes away.
Victoria has an international airport with regular scheduled flights from destinations across Canada and the US.